Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A "sisterhood" ever so vast in the skies

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I went to the Women in Aviation, International Convention last March and had a WONDERFUL TIME.  I go every year, but now that it's less than 45 days away from the one for 2014, I decided to write a little about the conference and the subject of "women in aviation".


I'm a proud member of a National Sorority, and I have a great sisterhood through Alpha Gama Delta - but I also have another "sisterhood" through a great organization called Women in Aviation.

A girl pilot - or "aviatrix" -  we're very rare.  There are not many of us.  Statistics show that only only 3% of ATP license holders are females.  At my university, I was one of maybe three girls in most aviation classes, and the only girl that walked the stage at graduation for my class... and that was including pilots and aviation management majors.  Aviation just doesn't have a lot of girls, period.

Besides joining a sorority and oversleeping 8:00am classes, one of the things I did during college was join the organization Women in Aviation, International.  In a nutshell, Women in Aviation, International (abbreviated WAI) is an organization that strives to promote the education, scholarship, advancement, networking, and more through mentorship, publications, local chapters, speakers, and most importantly - the annual conference.  Similar to a sorority, there is so much more than the description of the organization.  Looking from the outside, you can't describe all of the great benefits it has.  Membership is open to anyone, both genders - it's a great organization for any profession in aviation, at any age.  I highly recommend anyone interested in aviation - no matter what job- to join.

This wonderful organization also helped me throughout my years in college and even now as a college graduate.  I've met wonderful people through this organization and had the best experiences through Women in Aviation events.

As a pilot, I love bullet lists so here's some bullet points on the benefits I personally received.  Everyone differs, but it's just some benefits that you can probably experience too.

1)  A feel of belonging and support - Until I really went to my first Women in Aviation conference back in 2009 in Atlanta I had no idea so many females were really involved in aviation.  Sure, I grew up military and saw female pilots on the base but there were so few of them.  I didn't think females were in every aspect of aviation... it didn't really click till I met so many people at the conference.  After an entire year and half of being the only girl in my aviation classes at school, I finally felt like I was a part of something.  I felt like I belonged and that I was accepted by my fellow peers.  I wasn't the token girl pilot, for once.  We supported each other.  It almost felt like a sorority - I was at home.

2)  Friends - This mostly occurs at the conference, but Women in Aviation is great... just... HOLY NEW FRIENDS!  My friends all know that I'm a bit of a social butterfly - and I'll write another blog soon on the WAI conference attendance - but that doesn't mean that shy girls and guys won't get any contacts through WAI.  You're bound to meet new people at the key note speakers, seminars, workshops, and exhibit hall.  In addition, WAI has local chapters - ALL OVER THE WORLD!  I started out with my university chapter, but now I belong to the DFW Chapter in North Texas.  I'm still new to the local chapter, but I'm making new friends through it.  In fact, I made friends with a gal that owns a T-6... we're making plans to have a $100 hamburger in a T-6!

3)  Networking -  Related to the aforementioned, networking is amazing through WAI.  You'll meet friends at chapters, local events, and the conference - but you'll also probably meet your future boss and future co-workers.  Because of WAI, I was able to score an internship with American Airlines.  I met the HR hiring team at the booth, and after chatting with them they asked for my resume - apparently I met the right people because the day after the conference I got a phone call asking for an interview!  Oh, little did I know - one of the gentlemen working the booth at the exhibit hall ended up being one of my bosses during the summer internship too.  Small world, eh?  Even now that I graduated, I still cherish my connections (my sorority purpose has a great line "to cultivate acquaintance with many whom I meet") with everyone thorough WAI.  As small as the aviation world is, we're bound to cross paths again.

4)  Motivation - Seeing all these other accomplished ladies (and gentlemen, I haven't forgotten about you brave conference goers too) only motivates me and inspires me.  At my first WAI conference, I met so many inspiring pilots, managers, mechanics, and much more.  The Women Air Service Pilots (WASPs) are some of the most iconic and inspiring ladies in aviation!  Also, at my first conference I saw other girls and guys going up on stage at banquets for awards and type rating scholarships.  This motivated me to apply to scholarships later that year.  With the funny turn of events, one of the friends I made at my first conference in 2009 won a certain scholarship and I asked for her advice on WAI scholarships... and I ended up winning the same scholarship she did the following year in 2010.  It's even funnier that a girl I met in 2010 asked me how I got the scholarship... fast forward to 2012, and she won the same scholarship.  Who knew I would end up motivating someone?  Scholarship aside, it's always inspiring to see other females in aviation that have blazed the trail before us.

5)  Scholarships - Just like I said, scholarships. FREE MONEY! $$$  I've been so so blessed by WAI scholarships.  I won't disclose how much I've got, but it's been enough to get me through entire flight ratings and tuition.  Thankful doesn't even begin to cover how I feel.  I'm BEYOND blessed.  Although I can't give back in the form of money right now, I eventually do want to donate a scholarship through this organization.  Anyhow, every fall WAI collects applications for various scholarships.  I highly recommend taking a look at what they have.  There's so much out there for anyone, at any level of training.  You have to be a member to apply, but it's so worth it.  Heck, the first scholarship I won was one of the biggest ones offered (besides type rating ones) - and I sent my application in thinking "I won't get it, but oh what the heck".  In the past few years I learned to adopt the phrase "the worst they can say his no!"  I can't wait to give back to this wonderful organization in the form of money or sponsoring another young aviator in flying.

My 2nd conference in 2010 - Also my first scholarship through WAI.  I cringe at my dress choice though.

Last year's conference in 2013.  Posing with two Women Air Service Pilots and colleagues.  Inspiring ladies!
So that's my two cents on Women in Aviation.  I think it's almost like a secondary "sorority" to me.  Though we have no letters to dawn on our chests, no secret ritual, or badge to wear I am proud to be a member of Women in Aviation with tons of other inspiring females (and males) that have blazed the path before me.  It's a inspiring, supportive, cheerful group that's world wide.



Blue Skies! xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment